Rector, St John the Evangelist, Dumfries
Diocese of Glasgow & Galloway
(in partnership with the Methodist Church)
A Church for Everyone
We are seeking a Rector, who will be a priest in Anglican orders, with a strong heart for God and for people, with good leadership and organisational skills, who will promote the Kingdom of God through the various ministries of our church, working with all ages in the community.
Our worship is liturgical and Eucharistic, blending the best of traditional with the best of the contemporary. There is a lot that is already exciting and lots we hope will develop here.
The Rectory is next to the church on Newall Terrace and is a well maintained detached house with accommodation on three levels.
This appointment is subject to a satisfactory enhanced Disclosure Scotland Check (Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007).
The closing date for applications is Tuesday, 28th February, 2017, and interviews are planned for the week beginning 13th March, 2017.
Requests for an application pack to secretary AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org or call the Vestry Secretary on 07754 596140. Completed applications to be sent to secretary AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org
- Ann Shukman is planning a series of Sunday afternoon talks and discussions in her Barn at Elshieshields, using invited speakers. Contact: revann AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org or louise.bands AT gmail DOT com
- Sunday 5 March
Canon Michael Bands
Former Dean of Bloemfontain, former Rector of All Saints Lockerbie
- Sunday 12 March
Rev Scott McCarthy
Minister of Langholm, Ewes, Eskdalemuir & Westerkirk
THE PASSION IN ART
- Sunday 19 March
Rev Dr Hamilton Inbadas
Glasgow University End of Life Studies Group
RESPONSES TO END OF LIFE ISSUES
- Sunday 26 March
Director, Place of Hope
CONFLICT TRANSFORMATION IN A FAITH CONTEXT
- Sunday 2 April
Bishop Gordon Mursell
HUMAN DESIRES AND THE LONGING FOR GOD
- Sunday 5 March
- Georgetown group: we are looking at the 5-week Lent course produced online by CBTI: Returning home: Christian faith in encounter with other faiths. We meet on Thursday evenings, only twice per month usually, so have started already. We did the 1st week on 26th January and next one (4th week) is on 9th March at 39 Rowanbank Avenue; further dates and venues to be arranged. Contact: readerpaul AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org
- Ann Shukman, following the Study the gospel session last month, is keen to do a Wednesday morning group at 11.30, following the 10.30 service, using a new book: Nick Spencer 2016. The evolution of the West: how Christianity has shaped our values. SPCK, London. £9.99. I would assist Ann with this and Ann is reviewing the book in the March – May Magazine, which should be out before Lent. The Study the gospel people are keen and more may stay on after the 11.00am service. Contact: revann AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org or readerpaul AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org
- Cake & Questions group (Thursday mornings, starting on 02/03/2017) is planning to do a Lent course, to which others are invited as usual. The intention is to use this year’s York Course: Receiving Christ in 5 Different Ways Contact: cakeandquestions AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org
- Simon Lidwell is proposing a group on Monday or Tuesday evenings at 1 James Avenue, using a book he has found helpful: The Rebirthing of God: Christianity’s struggle for new beginnings by John Philip Newell. Contact: quartz AT stjohnsdumfries DOT org
Choral Evensong – this Sunday 5th March 2017 at 6pm
Pledge2Pray with the Archbishop of Canterbury. Visit the site and play the short video. https://www.thykingdomcome.global/
Adverts for a new Rector have now been placed in the Church Times, Diocesan and Provincial Websites and various other places. So far we have had twelve enquiries for Application Packs and the applications themselves have started to come in. Closing date is 28/02/2017 and we are expecting to hold interviews in the week commencing 13/03/2017. The original plan was for the Bishop to be present during these in an advisory capacity only; in the meantime, assuming the Bishop may not be available at that time, the..
Lent Groups. 1st March marks the beginning of Lent. I am aware that there will be a number of groups meeting through Lent, some of which meet throughout the year, others which will meet for the Lenten period. If you wish your group to be publicised within St John’s, please let me or the Church Office have the details. It would good to make known: *the particular focus of the group; *day, dates, time and location of the group meetings; *a group contact. Thank you. Jim Booth Meantime, see the separate flyer (yellow),..